Friday, March 14, 2008

Decibel Demons

Riding back from my aunt’s place early this morning, the music playing a soothing tune spoiled only by the steady humdrum of my bikes engine dreaming about how my day is going to turn out I would never have thought that it would lead me to seriously think about such a topic.
Getting back to the thought that lead to this blog is me being sandwiched in between three auto-rickshaws (small, three wheeled, rear engine vehicles). Now imagine a scene where you have a walkman ear plug in your ear with a decently loud soothing music and riding atop a royal Enfield bullet. It is bound to make a ruckus no doubt. Well all this noise was suddenly drowned out in the sandwich I was stuck in… the ricks emitted an ear splitting unpleasant noise absolutely alien to any of the other states or in-fact cities/metros. My o my it was certainly a relief to the ear once I overtook the ricks.
This incident immediately jogged my mind to the previous day when a friend and I was sitting beside the road watching the world go by at a busy intersection. Here out of the hundreds of cars that passed by the traffic light the only noises emitted came from the ricks that were buzzing past shuttling passengers from one point to another. The sound was so overpowering, that the sound, after some time came to symbolize the traffic flowing smoothly at the intersection.
After coming back home I happened to glance at an old newspaper lying around and guess what staring back at me out of the newspaper was an article on the street I was sitting only a few hours earlier being judged as the loudest street in the whole city. The article even went to the extent of quoting a few shopkeepers on the sound levels of the street with the traffic and that they need to switch on to a/c mode to beat the heat. For once even the businessmen were thanking the government for passing the law that prohibited the entry of auto-rickshaws into the street.
Well the mentions of an auto-rickshaw always draws out a linguistic dialogue that is never pleasant to the ear. Never grateful ever frightful an auto driver and his ride. No one ever cares for this contraption but then why does it run, probably just to irritate the passers and make us be thankful for other means of transport.

No comments: