Friday, July 6, 2007

FIRST DAY ON A NEW JOB…. REFLECTIONS

First day of work in a totally new environment was WHEW… thud thud thud …..The steady pounding of my feet on the footpath in a mad rush to catch the bus to work was all I could hear. Not the strum of the guitar coming off a country song playing off my mobile. Waiting for the bus turned out a futile effort simply due to the reason everything was written in kannada! One hurdle down a few more to go. The next thorn was the beeline for a rickshaw…. OOF caught one and only to see that the guy was intent on giving me a tour of the city… the tour did have one good turn to it. I got to know of an alternate route to the office, thank heavens for that as I had come in handy once in a while… With a a lot of shakes and rattles I finally get to the office and to the place I went for my interview. Got introduced and was led to the section where I was to work.
Like all first days my first day was no different. Apprehensive. Tense and a bit worried, I step into the office followed by the person who introduced me to the rest of the staff…. Comprising of a few counts more than thirty. I get to know a half this number first all who came from different backgrounds. The funny part was that you had to converse in around five different languages if you wanted to get heard or communicate.
Sitting around doing nothing wasn’t suiting me right I guess because I got to work within hours after the orientation. Got myself assigned a computer to get set on booking tickets…. My I said to myself what have I got myself into? But was this just the tip of the ice-berg.
But this like so many first days on a new job I left a bit confused, wondering what I am to do and how will I be able to help the organization in its plans for growth and prosperity. Hopefully I think this will change for the better and I play an important link in this chain.

No comments: